Disable/Enable Windows Defender in Windows 8 – will show you how can you stop the Built-in-antivirus (Windows Defender) in Windows 8 and again Start the Windows defender at the time of requirement. You need to stop the Windows defender to use any antivirus software instead of Windows defender in Windows 8.
How to permanently disable Windows defender in Windows 8
1. Open “Windows Defender” in Windows 8. (press Windows Key + Q to open the Apps search screen and type Windows defender. Click on Windows defender on the search result to open “Windows defender”).
2. Navigate to “Settings” tab.
3. Click on “Administrator” on the left side bar.
4. You will get a check box “Turn on Windows Defender” at the right side pane.
5. Just unchecked the option to stop Windows defender in Windows 8.
6. Click on “Save Setting”.
7. User Account Control (UAC) prompt will ask for your confirmation about turning off the Windows defender.
8. Just click on “yes“.
9. Windows defender will show you the confirmation message as “Windows Defender: Windows Defender has been turned off and is not monitoring your computer. If you are using any other app to check for malicious or unwanted software then use Action Center to check that app’s status“.
10. Click on “Close“. That is it. Now your Windows defender is turned off.
How to enable the inactive Windows defender in Windows 8
When you find that your Windows defender is turned off, Then Action Center will show you a message at the right side of Windows task bar. If the message is not coming there, then you need to turn on the message for “Spyware and unwanted software protection” and “Virus protection”for Action Center. Follow the steps to turn on the Windows defender.
1. When you turn on the message for “Spyware and unwanted software protection” and “Virus protection” of Action Center. You will get a red cross symbol with the Action Center icon at the right side of task bar. Just Click on there.
2. Now click on “Turn on Virus protection (important)” or “Turn on spyware protection (important)“.
3. Wait for some time. Windows defender in Windows 8 will turn on after some time.
4. That is it. Now your PC/System is protected by Windows defender.